Tsinghua University was established in 1911, originally under the name “Tsing Hua Imperial College”. The campus of Tsinghua University is situated in northwest Beijing on the site of the former imperial gardens of the Qing Dynasty, and surrounded by a number of historical sites.
Since its founding, Tsinghua greatly valued the interaction between Chinese and Western cultures, sciences and humanities, the ancient and the modern. Tsinghua scholars Wang Guowei, Liang Qichao, Chen Yinque and Zhao Yuanren, renowned as the “Four Tutors” in the Institute of Chinese Classics, advocated this belief and had a profound impact on Tsinghua's later development.
Today, Tsinghua has developed into a comprehensive research university. At present, it has 21 schools and 59 departments with faculties in science, engineering, humanities, law, medicine, history, philosophy, economics, management, education and art. With the motto of “Self-discipline and Social Commitment” and the spirit of “Actions Speak Louder Than Words”, it is dedicated to the well-being of Chinese society and to world development.
Humanities and social sciences at Tsinghua date back to the 1920s when the Institute of Chinese Classics was established, together with the later-on emergence of other subjects of humanities and social sciences. Today, disciplines of humanities and social sciences at Tsinghua have become prestigious across the nation and some of them have reached world-class level. To accelerate the development of humanities and social sciences is among the top priorities in the University's agenda. Hopefully, humanities and social sciences will become one of the driving forces in the University's journey towards a top world-class university.
As one of China's most prestigious and influential universities, Tsinghua is committed to cultivating global citizens who will thrive in today's world and become tomorrow's leaders. Through the pursuit of education and research at the highest level of excellence, Tsinghua is developing innovative solutions that will help solve pressing problems in China and the world. We are committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse academic community from different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences to boost teaching and research at Tsinghua.
The recruitment targets mainly distinguished scholars and outstanding scholars. We plan to recruit prominent academics with remarkable scholarly records to join Tsinghua as tenured professors, as well as tenure-track assistant and associate professors in some disciplines (as shown in the list of positions attached below). We will conduct open searches across all fields of humanities and social sciences.
Apart from positions in the normal tenure-track system, we have set up positions of Chair Professor and Distinguished Professor of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences to support and honor distinguished scholars.
Meantime, we also welcome scholars to come as Senior Visiting Professors, specially set up to invite those with outstanding academic achievement to visit Tsinghua for teaching and research. The list of positions is attached below.
顶尖学者 Distinguished Scholars
Positions Offered: Professor (especially world-renowned scholars can be awarded Chair Professor in Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences)
- Record of internationally-recognized achievement in his/her field, original academic contributions, and demonstrable outstanding academic leadership;
- Full professors at universities in China or abroad, or with equivalent appointment standards, or with equivalent positions or levels at research institutions in China and abroad.
杰出学者 Outstanding Scholars
Positions Offered: Professor or Tenured Associate Professor
- Outstanding record of original achievements in his/her field, demonstrable strong academic leadership, and great potential to top his/her field in the near future;
- Tenured professors or associate professors at universities in China or abroad, or with equivalent appointment standards, or with equivalent positions or levels at research institutions in China and abroad.
高级访问教授 Senior Visiting Professors
Positions Offered: Senior Visiting Professor or Associate Professor
- Professors and associate professors at universities worldwide with international reputation, or with equivalent appointment standards, or with equivalent positions or levels at research institutions in China and abroad;
- Fits with the development plan of the host department/school and has a clear visiting plan.
Salaries and Benefits
Apart from internationally competitive salaries, Tsinghua offers a wide range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Sufficient start-up research fund (on demand for distinguished scholars);
- University staff quarters for distinguished and outstanding scholars; Visiting apartments on campus for visiting professors;
- Independent office space and academic assistants;
- Medicare, social insurance, and children’s schooling on campus;
- Professional development counseling service.
- Academic self-assessment;
- 5 representative academic outputs;
- 3 letters of reference (if applicable).
Review of Applications
- Deadline for the first round of applications: September 30, 2022
- Follow-up rounds will be announced in the future.
- Office of Human Resources
(email@example.com; Ms. Chen 86-10-62771482, or Mr. Sun 86-10-62783118)
- Office of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Administration
(firstname.lastname@example.org; Ms. Shi 86-10-62773090, or Ms. Liu 86-10-62773090)
Tsinghua Global Professoriate Recruitment Posts
for Humanities and Social Sciences
Note: The recruitment is mainly for Distinguished Scholars and Outstanding Scholars, and the positions are Professors and Tenured Associate Professors. Some disciplines (marked with *) can accept applications for positions of Associate Professors and Assistant Professors.
访问 http://jobs.tsinghua.edu.cn/project/qhdx/pages/global_recruit/#/apply 开始申请
Fill the Spot
Find your Bright Spot
For a Better University
a More Beautiful World
a More Wonderful Life
Tsinghua is inviting prominent scholars in humanities and social sciences around the world to contribute to our comprehensive academic agenda in Tsinghua’s critical development stage of its new century and its journey towards a top world-class university.
Visit http://jobs.tsinghua.edu.cn/project/qhdx/pages/global_recruit/#/apply to apply now!